From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:49:35
1 foser wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 22:58 +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
3 >
5 >>Hash: SHA1
6 >>
7 >>Luca Barbato schrieb:
8 >>
9 >>>Stephen P. Becker wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>>alpha++
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>alpha++
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >>once again, alpha++
21 > It's not a vote, it's a discussion. You guys--.
22
23 Whoever said we were voting? I was just showing my support for
24 alphabetical keyword ordering. Remember, alphabetical keywording is
25 *already* implemented in ekeyword, and we are discussing whether or not
26 to revert it. foser--
29 > As vapier indicates he's the whole reason this ever became a problem. He
30 > was the one who started arbitrarily ordering keywords around creating a
31 > keywords mess for people who did depend on order to perform tasks. I
32 > guess the lesson here is if you just do things 'your way' (wr/l)ong
33 > enough, people pick it up and it spreads.
34
35 If everyone starts using ekeyword now with the alphabetical ordering
36 built in, everything will be consistent, and there shouldn't be a problem.
39 > The point is that with his reordering implicit information was lost for
40 > no particular purpose. There was no added value in ordering keywords,
41 > there's was no reason whatsoever to make the ordering inconsistent
42 > within packages, it was an utterly pointless exercise in creating more
43 > traffic on the servers.
44
45 I guess by "creating more traffic" you mean the one time when updating
46 the ebuilds with the new ordering during rsync for each user. Even if
47 this is significant over the whole tree, once everything is updated with
48 keyword ordering and everyone has done an emerge sync, there won't be
49 any more trouble, and we can just stay happy with the consistent
50 alphabetical ordering enforced by ekeyword.
51
52 -Steve
53 --
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list