From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Cc: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HEADS UP: Twitching to un-arch-mask Apache2
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:22:24
1 On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:46:55AM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Does anyone know why php wont work with apache-2?
3 See my other posting to this list. It works fine.
4
5 > I thought there were "issues" with particular php routines that you
6 > may or may not come across depending on what you are doing,
7 That was the thread-safe problem with threaded Apache2 MPMs (such as
8 worker). Again, see my other post about it. 6 months ago, there were a
9 lot more thread-safe extensions in PHP, since then the great majority
10 have been fixed. Just net-snmp and mcrypt still, and those have fixes in
11 them AFAIK but I don't know if the PHP people have looked if the fixes
12 are good enough.
13
14 > and apache-2 performance in general was slower and was unsatisfactory
15 > on high load servers - i.e., at about 6months ago apache-2 just wasnt
16 > ready for prime time. Have these problems been overcome, or are they
17 > just being ignored?
18 I did a little quick testing at work. All values are approximate,
19 rounded DOWN to the nearest multiple of 10. These tests are a very
20 simple little script I cooked up, and should not be taken as any
21 definite performance guide. The actual speed measurements were taken
22 with 'ab2', on a seperate machine, running over gigabit ethernet.
23 The test server is a dual Xeon 2.66Ghz, 1GB ECC RAM. Pages are served
24 from a ramdisk.
25
26 Apache1+PHP vs. Apache2(prefork MPM [default])+PHP = dead heat,
27 different hardware setup might push it in either direction. This is a
28 non-threaded MPM, so no threadsafe issues here.
29
30 All of the remaining MPMs below are threaded:
31
32 Apache1+PHP vs. Apache2(worker MPM)+PHP = Apache2 pushes out ~10% more
33 pages than Apache1.
34
35 Apache1+PHP vs. Apache2(perchild MPM)+PHP = Apache1 wins by ~10%, but
36 this MPM is intended for more security, not performance.
37
38 Apache1+PHP vs. Apache2(leader MPM)+PHP = Apache2 wins by ~20%, but this
39 MPM seems unstable over longer periods (and it _is_ marked in the
40 Apache2 docs as such).
43 Robin Hugh Johnson
44 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
45 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
46 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
47 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85