From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-arch/bzip2: bzip2-1.0.5-r1.ebuild
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 23:42:01
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 >
3 > seems we gauge things differently as i dont think it's that black& white,
4 > although it probably is further in your white than in my black. further, i
5 > dont believe people actually get useful information out of this, they just
6 > think they do (perception vs reality). when an actual bug arises, the
7 > information contained in the ChangeLog doesnt assist in the bug triage/fixing.
8 > depgraph broken -> file removed -> reason is irrelevant to the user.
9 > maintainer of the package causing the depgraph breakage gets a bug in bugzilla
10 > and they address it by either re-adding, or trimming more, or tweaking deps,
11 > or something else. so if someone wants a fuzzy security blanket, they can
12 > look to autogeneration and then it's no longer my problem.
13 > -mike
16 Mike and others as it applies,
17
18 I have a question or two. I don't care if you, or others, reply to this
19 with a answer, just think on it. A policy, rule if you will, has been
20 decided on by the council. This after MUCH discussion on this list and
21 the council hearing both sides of the argument. You, apparently on your
22 own or with a few others, have decided to ignore the policy or rule.
23
24 What would you think if someone else ignores another rule that affects
25 you, negatively of course? What would you do? What do you think should
26 be done to the person ignoring the rule? Should that person be allowed
27 to do so with no consequences at all? Just everyone do as they wish
28 regardless of the rules. What affect would that have on Gentoo as a
29 whole? Do you really want to see this happen after all the mess Gentoo
30 has been through in the past?
31
32 Think on that for a bit. Give it a day or so or better yet, sleep on it.
33
34 Again, I don't care for you to answer or reply. Just think.
35
36 Dale
37