From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for (next year's probably) SoC
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 01:08:04
1 On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:07:37 +0100
2 flameeyes@×××××.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò) wrote:
3
4 > The tasks are minor tasks that don't require a lot of time at hand,
5 > but gives a good way to judge if the person is in for the experience
6 > or the money, and might be able to cut the deal even for Gentoo devs
7 > if that is really wanted.
8 >
9 > How to implement it for Gentoo? Well I think we have the tool already:
10 > Bugzilla. We just need to add a keyword SOC_QUALIFICATION_TASK; when a
11 > developer think of a working qualification task, he can add the
12 > keyword and CC the soc team or something like that.
13
14 While the concept itself is a good one, I think that such qualification
15 tasks have to be related to the proposed project to be of real use.
16 With a single codebase and a single implementation language like
17 ffmpeg a single list of tests can work, but Gentoo has many aspects that
18 require completely different skills.
19 For us a generic list of tasks you may help in testing the motivation,
20 but it hardly helps to assess the technical skills of a student to
21 complete e.g. a webapp project if he fixes some ebuilds or writes a
22 patch for a random package.
23 I think we should just require students to list some references related
24 to their project in their application and have the relevant mentors
25 check those. If a student can't find some references on his own he can
26 the soc team/mentors/devs for something. In fact I think what is
27 needed most is improved communications instead of random tests.
28
29 Marius
34 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
35 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.