From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New Category - dev-pic OR dev-embedded
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:05:17
1 'Lo all.
2
3 I'd like to propose a new category.
4
5 Name: dev-pic
6 Alternate name: dev-embedded
7 Purpose: development software dealing with PIC microcontrollers and
8 other embedded chips.
9
10 We currently have pending ebuilds for a fair number of the packages
11 listed on a site (http://www.gnupic.org/) that tracks software for
12 handing PIC microcontrollers et al under linux. There is also at least 1
13 ebuild in the tree for this type of software, wrongly filed under
14 dev-util (It's an assembler/linker/deassembler for PIC1[246][CF]*
15 chips).
16
17 Support Reasoning: I've got a class on programming PIC16F87[47] chips
18 this semester, and I really don't want to use the nasty windows programs
19 to build my code. And since I've got access to the hardware, might as
20 well test out the code that should work to get it into the tree.
21
22 (For those interested, for my class, we had to come up with independant
23 projects to do with the chips, and my team has decided to go with my
24 suggestion of building the interface unit for an embedded OEM GPS
25 reciever).
28 Robin Hugh Johnson
29 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
30 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
31 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
32 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85