From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 22:25:50
1 On 05/08/2016 05:53 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Sun, 08 May 2016 11:06:09 +0100
3 > Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I am working at the moment on debundling ejabberd. It will come with
6 >> ~30 packages and I will do "git merge --no-ff ejabberd-debundled"
7 >> because it will actually look less messy.
8 >>
9 >> Thanks,
10 >> -- Amadeusz Żołnowski
13 > Yes, this is exactly the type of merge commits that should be allowed.
14 >
15 > Not the one or two user PR commits that might be based on a weeks old
16 > tree, that a developer merges without rebasing. It is these merge
17 > commits which have caused all the grief we've experienced over merge
18 > commits.
19 >
20 > Merge commits should be used wisely and for larger branch merges like
21 > the kde, gnome team's development overlay merges to the main tree or
22 > similar larger one off project's like the one above. It is these
23 > larger commit branches that are much more difficult to "git pull
24 > --rebase && git push --signed" successfully without some other pushes in
25 > between causing a rejected non-fast forward push.
26 >
27 I think you touched on the key phrase we should be taking from the
28 conversation: 'merges without rebasing'. Devs are encouraged -- if not
29 required -- to push commits after rebasing, to ensure we're pushing to
30 the latest HEAD and not something that's stale. If we hold merges to the
31 same standard, would the problems that some have with merge commits
32 disappear?
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6