From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:11:23
Michał Górny schrieb:
> Hello, > > I have prepared a first draft of 'dynamic SLOT' specification. This is > my proposal in attempt to solve the problem of building packages for > multiple Python and Ruby versions. It could also be reused for multilib. > > The spec tries to explain the broad idea, and all problems relevant to > it. It also lists a few problems which are still unsolved and I think > they will cause the spec to change after hearing your ideas. > > To be honest, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Please don't > say it doesn't solve all the world problems because it simply won't. > > I'm attaching a reStructuredText version of the spec. You can view it > rendered as a gist[1]. But please keep the replies on the list, rather > than forking the gist. > > [1]:https://gist.github.com/2943774 >
Since you have not responded to my lines in IRC, i will repeat them here: First: How does the user see, which slots are possible and which ones are currently active and which are currently not selected? Beside that, it seems to solve things pretty similar to the proposed way in multilib-portage for cross-compiling (which could also be adapted for multi-slot languages) with different wording and with additional work for ebuild maintainers. And since my proposal already uses USE flags, things would not change visually for users of e.g. ruby or php. -- Thomas Sachau Gentoo Linux Developer