From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: upgrade's and rc-scripts
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:05:33
1 Zac Medico posted <42DF90B1.9030806@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on Thu,
2 21 Jul 2005 05:10:25 -0700:
3
4 > This could be an optional feature such as FEATURES="restartservices". The
5 > CONFIG_PROTECT functionality could remain as is. Portage could use a
6 > special ebuild variable to determine whether the previous and new ebuilds
7 > have compatible configuration file formats (similar to EAPI) and only
8 > restart the service if they are compatible.
9
10 Interesting. Something like PKG_CONFIG_VER, individualized for each
11 package. Portage would know not to restart the service between major
12 versions, and would know it could if the version stayed the same. The
13 question would be what to do for minor config version changes (which would
14 equate to compatible in general, but with one or more changes). I'd say
15 that should mean a safe restart as well. If it wouldn't be safe, and
16 since the config version would be a Gentoo-only arbitrary number, I'd say
17 make that a major version change.
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
23 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list