From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: wired@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-council] Upcoming Council meeting on July 26th, 1900 UTC
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:34:00
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:05:02AM +0300, Alex Alexander wrote:
> The Council will have its next meeting on the 26th of July, 2010. > > The meeting will begin at 1900 UTC. > > You may use [0] to find out the correct time in your timezone. > > Here's a draft list of the meeting topics so far: > * vote on adding --as-needed to the default profile's LDFLAGS > * discuss (and maybe vote on) required-use > http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/required-use.html
Adding eclass removal policy to the agenda; it directly affects devs, and the previous policy (imo) is misinterpretted slightly. Specifically, 06/01/08, portage 2.1.4.4 went stable; this had env saving/restoration support. The original council decree was that eclasses had to sit for 2 years- I very strongly posit that the time period there should've been bound to portage env capabilities rather than eclass timelines. Reasoning is simple enough- w/ a proper PM, eclasses can be removed/modified at will without affecting binpkgs/installed pkgs. So the question I'd like on the agenda is basically if there is any reason to preserve the decree- if not, punt it. ~harring