From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:47:41
1 On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 17:35 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 February 2007, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > So, is there support among devs for hosting another round of Summer
4 > > students? Are there good problems for those students to work on, and,
5 > > if so, what are they? Were people happy with how last year's program
6 > > went, or should we try to do something different? For what it's worth,
7 > > I think GSOC is worth putting our effort into, but I'd also like to see
8 > > projects that at least have the potential to benefit more of the
9 > > community than just Gentoo. *Shrug*
10 >
11 > Although last summer I wasn't too involved in the process (I was backup mentor
12 > for a couple of projects, but there was no need for a backup mentor for any
13 > of them, and I also passed the august offline), I did think with myself of a
14 > few issues with what SoC did for Gentoo (and the other way around too).
15 >
16 > Out of the 14 projects listed in [1], these are the (public) results:
17 >
18 > - I don't know of any GUI frontend to baselayout;
19 > - Antarus's work on CVS migration produced some interesting results, but as we
20 > know, the migration isn't possible just yet;
21 > - blubb's etc-update replacement is sort of complete, I wasn't able to get it
22 > to work yet, but at least blubb is still around;
23 > - Gentoo/FreeBSD/AMD64 port is deadish, Victor disappeared for what I can
24 > tell, there weren't many patches that were followed till merge, and there's
25 > no near hope to get amd64-fbsd working in short time;
26 > - I have no clue what's going on with gentoo-stats;
27 > - Pioto's dynusers (now creandus, I think) is still work in progress, since
28 > starting, pioto became a dev;
29 > - I have no clue what's going on with the web-based GuideXML frontend;
30 > - JACK support hasn't moved a bit, if possible it became worse because of
31 > bitrot, as the student dropped off;
32 > - I have no clue what's going on with NetworkManager, but it might actually
33 > have seen some work on it, considering it's now in portage, but
34 > metalgod/steev would probably know better;
35 > - I don't know what happened to qaludis, nor I care to be honest as it's an
36 > external project;
37 > - I don't know what happened to pkgcore, nor I care to be honest as it's an
38 > external project;
39 > - Alex completed Gentoo/FreeBSD port of Sandbox, although Martin disappeared
40 > and thus we're forced to unmask sandbox on our profiles for now, and in the
41 > mean time he also fixed some FreeBSD bugs;
42 > - I have no clue what's going on with SCIRE;
43 > - I have no clue what's going on with the Xorg configuration too.
44 >
45 > I admit I cannot of course judge all the progress, as you can see I have no
46 > clue on about half the projects, but that also means there wasn't a big new
47 > feature or fix that everybody knows about.
48 > So maybe, the targets we put were too much fuzzy, and difficult to achieve. Of
49 > course there's also the big unknown of the students, that we can't easily
50 > judge if we don't know them.
51 >
52 > This covers one point, but what most interest me to point out is that we have
53 > a real low conversion of developers. What I found interesting in the Summer
54 > of Code initiative was the ability to find new developers for a project,
55 > people that wouldn't have been involved in open sources projects otherwise.
56 >
57 > We enrolled as "students" four Gentoo developers, and only one of the
58 > remaining ten students was converted into a dev.
59
60 Actually, I believe we gained four new developers as a result of Summer
61 of Code last year...
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list