From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: usrmerge script
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 18:37:27
1 On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 01:09:52PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:09 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 08:48:41AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > What really can help is reflinking on filesystems supporting that.
7 > >
8 > > What really can help is more info instead of being terse like this.
9 > > Which filesystems support it?
12 > According to Google right now: Btrfs, CIFS, NFS 4.2, OCFS2, overlayfs, and XFS
13 >
14 > Lizardfs ought to, but doesn't currently. zfs does not because clones
15 > only are supported at the dataset level.
16 >
17 > In any case, if you're using coreutils cp to do the copy, just pass
18 > --reflink=auto. Honestly, I have no idea why this isn't the default
19 > behavior. Who wouldn't want instant copy operations that consume zero
20 > space (aside from metdata)? If you're doing this in C or some other
21 > language you would need to see if they have a library call to do it
22 > easily - see man ioctl_ficlone.
23
24 I'm using busybox, and I just checked and it also supports the
25 --reflink=auto switch.
26
27 I thought about coreutils, but with everything on the fs being moved
28 around, I think that would get messy.
29
30 Thanks a lot for the info Rich. :-)
31
32 William