From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer branches on proj/gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:10:36
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:01:05 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 15:52:16
5 > Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o> napisał(a):
6 >
7 > > Hi there
8 > >
9 > > According to
10 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
11 > > "there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
12 > > branches etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create
13 > > my own branch on the main repository and push it and it gets spread
14 > > all over the place. Is that correct?
15 > >
16 > > Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?
17 > >
18 > > Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do
19 > > this.
20 >
21 > As long as it's used with caution, I don't see a problem.
22
23 Then we should define 'caution' I think :)
24
25 > Of course it
26 > would be bad if everyone pushed branches for any minor change.
27 > However, if there is a long-term work going on a branch, I don't see
28 > a problem with keeping it public.
29
30 Most, if not all, projects I've seen use forks for this. This doesn't
31 prevent being public but gives a clear definition of what 'caution' is.
32 Branches are usually reserved for releases maintainance.
33
34 Alexis.