From: Nathan Phillip Brink <binki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tags (Was: RFC: split up media-sound/ category)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:58:47
1 On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 08:57:47PM -0400, Wyatt Epp wrote:
2 > Tags are basically keywords you can use to describe packages, allowing
3 > you to easily search and explore your options based on what the
4 > packages actually does (if we want to get technical, anything that
5 > identifies a package is a sort of tag: name, version, license, set,
6 > checksum, etc.). ??It's just a vocabulary that eases the burden of
7 > human lookup. ??The categories we have now are essentially (pairs of)
8 > tags tied to a treelike structure in an actual filesystem, and I'd
9 > wager that's a decent place to start, too-- probably the most
10 > prominent problem I can see with the current method comes from these
11 > edge cases where one category is obviously not enough. ??The obvious
12 > solution is probably to just stick our semantic metadata into the
13 > metadata.xml. ??So for...say, media-video/kdenlive,
14 > <cat>media-video</cat>[1] becomes more like this:
15 >
16 > <cat>
17 > <tag>media</tag>
18 > <tag>video</tag>
19 > <tag>kde</tag>
20 > <tag>editors</tag>
21 > </cat>
22
23 I'm going to just interpret this as a suggestion for a modification to
24 metadata.xml ;-). Could this not just be:
25
26 <tags>
27 <tag>kde</tag>
28 <tag>editors</tag>
29 </tags>
30
31 Then in the category's metadata.xml, at media-video/metdata.xml, you
32 can fill in the rest:
33
34 <tags>
35 <tag>media</tag>
36 <tag>video</tag>
37 </tags>
38
39 It would be nice to take advantage of the existing categories in
40 Gentoo instead of having to duplicate all of this information over and
41 over -- if this is to be done with metadata.xml.
44 binki
45
46 Look out for missing or extraneous apostrophes!