From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Multislot dependencies
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 06:36:42
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:41:17 +0200
4 > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > := only makes sense when something is both a DEPEND and an RDEPEND.
6 >> > Actual behaviour, for Paludis, is that it rewrites := deps to :=blah
7 >> > when writing to VDB any time it can, and leaves anything it can't
8 >> > as := deps. Verifying sanity of := use is left to developers and
9 >> > the QA tool.
10 >>
11 >> ... and the spec.
12 >
13 > The spec's well defined. It just tells you how := works, not how to use
14 > it in a sensible manner. Pretty much the same as for everything else.
15 Sorry, but I disagree.
18 >> > The only sensible thing you can do with multiple matches on := slots
19 >> > (and ||=, if that route is taken) is to take the slot of the best
20 >> > matching installed version, and require that ebuilds do that too. In
21 >> > real world cases, this works just fine.
22 >> >
23 >> so, ebuilds should use best_version instead of has_version for
24 >> example. That's what I meant and what I miss in the kdebuild-1
25 >> spec :-)
26 >
27 > Generally, it "just works", because packages are usually fairly good at
28 > picking up the best installed version themselves anyway. But yes, if
29 > you have to pass a version manually to a package, best_version is the
30 > way to do it.
31
32 And what about a function to tell the PM explicitly which slot of a
33 dependency has been used (as an alternative)? Or should that decision
34 always be left to the PM? (that's something I'd expect to be in the PMS)
38 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list