From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:03:46
1 Hi Mark,
2
3 On 2/27/06, Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
4 > Your change seems to imply that the QA team must wait for the council's
5 > okay to go forth and fix the package, rather the QA team able to act on
6 > its own. If that is the case, I don't see how we would ever be able to
7 > get things done when someone disagrees with us.
8
9 In the event of a disagreement, that's exactly what I'm asking for.
10 Hopefully, disagreements will be rare. But, when they do arise, and
11 it is not an emergency, I see no reason why the QA team needs the
12 ability to force its point of view onto others.
13
14 > Again, then we are going to get into the argument of the definition of
15 > an emergency and never be able to get anything done. We really hope
16 > problems never come down to this, which is why we left it worded this
17 > way.
18
19 Me too. But it will, sooner or later, and when something isn't an
20 emergency, there's no reason why a change cannot wait until the
21 dispute has been resolved.
22
23 I have no desire to stop the QA team being able to act in an
24 emergency. It's in all our interests for action to be taken in an
25 emergency.
26
27 > > The QA team has no monopoly on what is right or wrong in Gentoo, and
28 > > neither do package maintainers. If there is a disagreement that leads
29 > > to an appeal, the onus should be on the QA team to have to present their
30 > > case to the council, as they are the ones pushing for change.
31 >
32 > Again, this is taking away any power that the QA team might have
33
34 I find that an interesting statement. The only power my proposals
35 remove is to stop you bullying people by insisting you are always
36 right before a peer review has happened. If there is a genuine QA
37 problem, and you can't convince the developer in question of that,
38 there's still a fair process that allows you to enforce when concensus
39 has failed.
40
41 Without these safeguards, my feeling is that the QA team is free to
42 enforce without concensus at all times. I don't believe that is in
43 the best interests of Gentoo, and is a significant shift in the way we
44 govern ourselves.
45
46 I don't see any compelling reason for the QA team to be judge, jury
47 and executioner, with the council acting as a post-execution appeals
48 panel. Wasn't devrel broken up into separate investigation and
49 enforcement teams over these very same concerns, raised by a member of
50 the QA team?
51
52 > This is not quantifiable at all and will just get us into arguments with
53 > people that disagree with us that there is a problem present.
54
55 If you mean that it creates grey areas where the output of automated
56 tools cannot always be right, I agree. If you're saying that it's
57 beyond your capacity as human beings to weigh up the merits of an
58 argument on more than just narrowly-defined technical facts, then are
59 you best placed to be making the decision in the first place?
60
61 If a policy is to be supportable and implementable, it has to be
62 reasonable, and it has to be managed by reasonable people. I feel
63 that what you're asking for, on this point, is more dogmatic than
64 reasonable.
65
66 Case in point. I've presented to you that, after two and a half
67 years, the situation that has sparked this debate off hasn't affected
68 users. I've explained that it is a third scenario, and that it is
69 different to the two (legitimate) scenarios that you've been busy
70 getting fixed. From where I'm sat, it would seem reasonable to accept
71 that, although this is a problem when looked at purely from a
72 technical point of view, this scenario isn't causing problems at this
73 time, and we could all move on to dealing with more important matters.
74 If there was a real problem, there would be enough evidence after two
75 and a half years for you to show me, and that would convince me (and
76 any other reasonable person) that I was wrong, and that action was
77 worth taking.
78
79 You haven't presented that evidence, or if you have, I haven't seen it
80 since getting up this morning.
81
82 Instead, we have a proposed QA policy that says "we're always right,
83 and when we're not, we still get our way until you convince the
84 council to let you back out the changes we demand." I think that's
85 unreasonable. That's why I oppose this point. To me, it smacks of
86 wanting to have your own way whether you're right or not. I can't
87 support that.
88
89 > Again, this bogs us down in useless process if someone wants to argue a
90 > change that clearly breaks things, but isn't documented. It is
91 > impossible to document every single thing that is a problem, and we are
92 > asking for some freedom to be able to work on issues that fall under QA.
93
94 As already mentioned, if it's not documented, how on earth do you
95 expect to raise the general quality of the QA done by each and every
96 developer? How do you expect to be able to consistently enforce your
97 own QA standards?
98
99 If it's not documented, then you're left with making it up as you go
100 along. That's in no-one's interest.
101
102 This comes back to my point about the QA team needing to be an
103 educational role first and foremost.
104
105 > So the Portage team will have to agree with us on every single problem
106 > that is a QA issue? This seems like something we can leave alone until
107 > it doesn't work, at which point we bring it before the council to figure
108 > out how we can best handle this situation. Saying that another team
109 > must approve all QA checks just seems silly.
110
111 I'm asserting that it isn't working. Case in point. Brian, as
112 co-lead of the Portage team, has said that we won't be adding
113 DEST_PREFIX to Portage. If the Portage team won't agree with your
114 interpretation of what is or isn't a valid QA check, why should you
115 have the right to go ahead anyway and enforce that check on the
116 package maintainers?
117
118 It's not silly. What do you have to fear about having your proposed
119 QA standards backed by key teams? If your arguments have merit, they
120 will be supported.
121
122 What I think is silly is the QA team claiming for itself the power to
123 enforce standards just on their say so.
124
125 > All of this seems to assume that the QA team is going to abuse its
126 > power. So far we have had very few problems when we ask people to
127 > fix issues that we have found for their packages. Is this going to
128 > always be true? No, and someone needs to be able to get problems fixed
129 > instead of just leaving things the way they are, and we want to fill
130 > that role.
131
132 I think you're already abusing that power, by calling for a package to
133 be removed when it's causing no trouble to anyone, and when the
134 workarounds create a worse user experience than what is already there.
135 When the developer in question declines to remove the package, your
136 response is a proposed QA mandate that is unbalanced.
137
138 Genuine problems need to be fixed. My proposals do not stop you from
139 doing that. They also ensure that we have a balanced QA approach that
140 genuinely serves the needs of the project.
141
142 > > I'd like to see the QA team's primary role stated as "educational"
143 > > first, then watchdog, then intervener in that order (emergencies
144 > > not-withstanding).
145 >
146 > Which is what we plan on doing, and have been doing so far.
147
148 Walk the talk. Create the educational material.
149
150 > We are working on a document, and hope to document all of the problems
151 > and why they are problems. We don't plan on saying something is just
152 > wrong and not give an explanation.
153
154 :)
155
156 Best regards,