From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do I really need the tree?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:40:34
On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 02:53, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> > Why does everyone always say "like games" anyway? Games are > > essential, man. KDE and Gnome are cruft... ;p > > Well for servers games are even less usefull than kde/gnome, allthough > both of them don't have a place on most servers either.
Except for servers servicing items from games-server... :] Anyway, for now it is much simpler to have a tree of ebuilds which are easily maintainable than a single (or a few) large xml files which would become a maintenance nightmare for all the developers involved. Currently there are many developers who work on only one ebuild in a particular area. As a good example, I maintain exactly one ebuild in app-emulation. What kind of separation would there be for the xml files? How would different versions be accommodated? Unless there was some "magic" which translated the text ebuilds/eclasses/profiles into xml (or a db, or whatever) before it went out to the world, and which *didn't screw up* in the process, I don't think we'd see much of a change any time soon. Not to mention the amount of work that would need to be done to portage itself to modify it to parse xml. I know that this sort of thing has been discussed before, and if memory serves me correctly, the reason for not doing so was not so much it being a bad idea or anything but really a matter of developer resources and energies. There's really nothing wrong with the current approach that would be helped by having the portage tree be in xml or a database, at least, not anything worth spending the tremendous amount of resources on that it would take. Personally, I would rather spend my time fixing bugs and adding new features to portage, not redoing all of the work I have done up until now to make it xml compliant. -- Chris Gianelloni Developer, Gentoo Linux Games Team Is your power animal a pengiun?