From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:17:40
1 On 01/17/14 17:27, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hello, all.
3 >
4 > I'm using squashfs to hold my Gentoo repositories on all of my systems
5 > for some time. As you probably know, this allows me to save space while
6 > keeping portage fast. However, it makes updating the tree quite
7 > burdensome and time-consuming.
8 Me too and you have my total support (maybe I've even proposed this
9 before to te list)
10
11 [snip]
14 > As you can see, the deltas are quite large compared to the actual
15 > changes. However, we could have expected that since we're diffing
16 > a compressed filesystem. What's important, however, is that applying
17 > it takes ~2.5 second on my 2 GHz Athlon64.
18
19 Have you tried to give an order (always the same) to the compressed files?
20 It could give an advantage, tough it may be limited to 2^16 files the
21 option is -sort <sort_file>
24 thanks for it,
25 Francesco