From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:29:44
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:24:12 +0100
3 Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > I wonder if it would be possible to somehow remotely "mount" the rest
6 > of
7 > the stuff such as gcc/python etc.. as with portage. So this way the
8 > system would be completely clean and when it needs to be updated a
9 > script would mount/link the tools from a remote system and after its
10 > done upgrading it would unlink and we are left with a lean clean
11 > system.
12
13 http://ovlfs.sf.net/ (if I recall correctly) might be the thing here.
14
15 however, last I head any application that tries to chroot() on an
16 overlay mounted FS will bite the dust.
19 Another alternative is to use a staging machine to build binaries, then
20 simply untar the .tbz2 files, instead of using portage to do it. (evil
21 solution actually ;)
22
23 After that, some manual pruning should get the things in order.
24
25 Though, for a server you don't gain anything in security by removing
26 compilers and development tools. perhaps in complexity and size, though.
27
28 //Spider
32 begin .signature
33 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
35 end