From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Arch testers need themselves an IRC channel so I can love them more
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:01:35
1 If you're an arch tester reading this, I love you.
2
3 Your job is mostly thankless and how important it is seems relatively
4 un-reflected in our regular conversations, and this needs to be
5 rectified.
6
7 Often, I see a stable request get done, and I know what got stabilized
8 was a monumental amount of work, and I just want to thank you for your
9 effort, but there isn't a good place for this.
10
11 Other times, I may want to ask questions in an informal setting, and
12 get an authoritative answer on what exactly you want of us as an arch
13 tester.
14
15 Presently, if I want to ask questions about arch testing, the only
16 place to do this is #gentoo-dev, or seek the mailing list like I am now.
17
18 The latter of these is a bit time consuming, and that probably
19 discourages participation.
20
21 And the former is not entirely useful as that's likely to get
22 side-tracked by all the people who don't do arch testing opining on
23 what to do, mostly directed by their experience with working with arch
24 testers.
25
26 This is not "bad" as such, but its not really an authority on arch
27 testing.
28
29 I believe that as arch testers, you have a right to run a channel as
30 you see fit, and have an authority on how it is you do what you do.
31
32 As such, I believe Arch Testers should have themselves an IRC channel,
33 where Arch testers are OP, and membership of arch testers is voluntary
34 ( but encouraged ).
35
36 I myself would start such a channel, but I feel it is not my place to
37 found such a channel, as I'm not an arch tester, it would be wrong of
38 me to hold OP of such a channel: That's a right only an Arch tester
39 should have.
40
41 And a channel opped by and filled with Non-Arch testers on the subject
42 of arch-testing sounds too much like certain political problems we have
43 lately.
44
45 I also believe somewhat in the idea that /people who are most concerned
46 about an issue/ should also be the same people who /do the work to
47 resolve that issue/, and in that light, it is somewhat disingenuous
48 to constantly fret over the state of arch testing while doing little to
49 actually fix the problem myself.
50
51 I do have it on my TODO list to attempt rectifying this, and in a
52 semi-long-term view of things I might find myself doing arch testing,
53 but I don't think we should wait until then to have an arch-testing
54 channel ;)
55
56 It would also probably be useful to have such a channel for arch
57 testers and interested potential-arch-testers to congregate and discuss
58 things, so that the potentials can get a feel for the work in an
59 informal capacity before stepping up to take the load, and the channel
60 would thus also facilitate the transfer of knowledge to widen the
61 tester base.
62
63 ( I understand people may be discussing the potential formation of an
64 AT mailing list/alias/project or something along those lines, but
65 I find such a strategy far too formal to be valuable, and much prefer
66 the flexibility of self-organising groups and the relaxed informality of
67 IRC, which typically don't need any approval to to create or infra
68 assistance to start )
69
70 In closing, this is a petition to somebody who is a recognised arch
71 tester to form a channel for this purpose, and encourage other testers
72 to join, and people like myself can then hop on and maybe be more
73 productive as a result.
74
75 <3