From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] about non-ebuild files in the tree (and verification thereof)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:11:05
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm working on a verification implementation of
4 https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0074.html and ran into the following
5 scenario that I don't know if it's right or wrong:
6
7 Consider net-misc/srf-ip-conn-srv
8 % ls
9 files Manifest metadata.xml srf-ip-conn-srv-9999.ebuild
10 srf-ip-conn-srv.pid
11 % cat Manifest
12 DIST jsmn-35086597a72d.tar.gz 11056 <snip>
13 DIST srf-ip-conn-140c9b8a8619.tar.gz 112882 <snip>
14
15 Notice that there is a .pid file in the ebuild dir, checked in git,
16 which even contains what appears to be a pid. It isn't used from the
17 ebuild as far as I can tell. Apart from being odd, this is actually
18 irrelevant.
19
20 In an rsync checkout of the gentoo-x86 tree, I see in the Manifest for
21 this package a DATA entry for the .pid-file. Hence, verification with
22 both gemato as well as my own implementation succeed because the
23 .pid-file is acknowledged.
24
25 Now in a rsync checkout of the Prefix tree, where my own implementation
26 also runs the fat manifest creation, this entry is not present, because
27 I always believed only metadata.xml, ChangeLog* and *.ebuild files were
28 allowed.
29
30 Now I'm confused as to whether this is the case or not, I can't find a
31 GLEP or anything, but repoman also is as happy as it can be on this odd
32 file (I thought it used to complain about stray/unadded files).
33
34 Does anybody know or have a pointer to what the policies on files in our
35 ebuild dirs actually is?
36
37 Thanks,
38 Fabian