From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: Ian Phillips <ianp@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xfree
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:49:58
1 On 30 May 2003 11:29:39 +0200
2 "Ian Phillips" <ianp@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > As for removing all fonts from xfree, I think it's a good idea in
5 > principle but of fairly low priority. I can see a time in the future
6 > when xfree won't use any unscaled fonts at all, everything will be
7 > {open|true}type or PS, but while there are still apps that use unscaled
8 > fonts it may be better to just leave the 75/100 dpi stuff as part of
9 > xfree. I guess I don't really have to much of an opinion on this one.
10
11 Well, 75/100 dpi fonts will actually be PDEPENDS of the xfree ebuild. The shtick is that those fonts will be built separately using tarball #4 from xfree, OR if the "prebuilt" USE flag is set, it'll just unpack a separate tarball that has those fonts generated already. The way it seems to me is that there really isn't any optimisation involved in generating fonts...
12
13 The biggest advantage to this is time savings. The build of xfree itself will take much shorter time, and of course the font stuff can be as quick as an unpack, merge, and update of fontpaths.. Oh, also, there's been call for a while to remove the MS corefonts from the xfree build, so this achieves that as well. Now, as a user with political leanings, you have the option to not install the MS fonts and replace them with bitstream-vera or whatever you like.
16 Thanks,
19 Seemant Kulleen
20 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
21 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~seemant
22
23 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
24 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E