From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:24:22
1 On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > I am against too many defaults. It's documented and people can
3 > activate it.
4 > I'm already annoyed by pre-set stuff like "cups" in
5 > releases/make.defaults.
6
7 While universal agreement is a bit much to hope for, I just wanted to
8 point out that fewer defaults is really just an illusion.
9
10 There is ALWAYS a default, anytime you have an option. The default
11 might be one thing, or it might be another, but there is ALWAYS a
12 default. My thinking is that our defaults should generally reflect
13 the most mainstream or least-surprising behavior, especially where
14 there are upstream projects. in the case of portage, we are the
15 upstream, so we should do whatever is most useful and least obnoxious
16 to our users.
17
18 If you're running something other than a generic desktop/server, there
19 will always be a need to tweak things.
20
21 Rich