From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 17:02:05
1 On 4/1/20 11:49 AM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Imagine a common dep (CommonFoo-x-y-z)
3 > has a security problem, so we must upgrade to CommonFoo-y-z. In the
4 > scenario where CommonFoo is a dynamically linked package we can
5 > recompile it once[4] and new consumers will just use the new dynamic
6 > shared object. In a bundling scenario, we will be forced to rebuild[5]
7 > all consumers.
8
9 This is highly euphemistic. What actually happens is: someone discovers
10 a security issue in a Go library. That library is not "in" Gentoo,
11 because it only ever appears in a string inside of another ebuild that
12 bundles everything. Thereafter, a whole lot of nothing happens. Users
13 remain vulnerable "forever," until some other unrelated event causes
14 both the ebuild and its dependency to be updated.
15
16 Your license scenario is also wishful thinking. All of the LICENSE bugs
17 reported when this eclass was proposed have been sitting open for six
18 months. As soon as the eclass was committed, that shit went out the door
19 and the developers moved on to make more money at our expense. You got
20 scammed.