From: Yuri Vasilevski <yuri@×××××××××××××.mx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:24:23
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:40:39 -0500
4 Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > Rafael Espíndola wrote:
7 > > I am using Gentoo to build some small systems. While things like the
8 > > minimal useflag is a joy, the monolithic nature of most gentoo
9 > > packages is a headache.
10 > >
11 > > Kde has been spit and libstdc++ can be installed without gcc but there
12 > > are many other packages that don't have this feature. For example,
13 > > installing qt also installs qt designer.
14 >
15 > Use INSTALL_MASK to keep it from getting installed. Keep both pieces.
16
17 I think that it's not the way to go because this will create
18 the exact problem that existed with installing an incomplete
19 kde before there where split ebuilds for it.
20
21 And this problem is that when you emerge a package it expects
22 it's dependencies to have the things it'll use form them. And
23 with INSTALL_MASK you brake this assumption in a way that there
24 is no easy way for an ebuild to verify that it's dependencies
25 have installed the things that the package needs.
26
27 So I think it may be good for some packages to be split in
28 several packages (but right now I can't think of any), but I
29 think it'll be much better introduce more granularity into
30 many ebuils with use flags. This is specially the case (in
31 my opinion) of packages that can have both client and server
32 functionality (the best example I can think of is net-fs/samba,
33 which I mostly use just to mount shares form other servers).
34
35 Just my 2 non convertible (i.e. non developers) cents.
36 Yuri.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list