From: Tony Williams <tonyw@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Kudos
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:19:21
1 Hi Gentoo Folk,
2
3 I just had to write you an email to say how impressed I am with Gentoo.
4 I've been using Linux since SLS came on 50 floppies, and I've finally
5 found a distro that I feel comfortable with. It might not be for
6 everyone, but I really like the control I get in the install procedure,
7 plus the knowledge it builds up about how the system is put together.
8 That's already standing me in good stead as I configure this new box
9 just the way I like it - and the desktop setup guide on your site is top
10 notch.
11
12 In fact I had a grand total of *one* problem throughout the whole
13 install, and that was easily worked around. That includes all the usual
14 nasties of getting X, scroll mouse, networking and audio set up.
15
16 In case you're wondering what the problem was, the MAKEDEV command tries
17 to create files with a "-" suffix in /dev and then move them to have the
18 correct name afterwards. This fails on my system, so I just made sure it
19 wasn't overwriting any existing files and edited MAKEDEV to skip the
20 rename step. This was when I really began to appreciate the level of
21 information I'd picked up during the install and the power it puts at my
22 fingertips. Muhahahaaa, I'm a script kiddy now ;)
23
24 Anyway, talk is cheap so I decided to put my money where my mouth is and
25 I just sent you $20 to support your development efforts. Or buy a beer;
26 you've certainly earned it :)
27
28 Cheers!
31 Tony Williams