From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:43:16
1 On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:53:04 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Actually the quizzes are pretty much clear on that.
5 >
6 > Revision must be bumped when the on-disk files installed by the
7 > ebuild are changed.
8 > Nothing about dependencies.
9 >
10 > This has been policy for a LONG time, and we're not going to change
11 > it overnight just because you protest.
12
13 As suggested, later PMS features (eg. (+) / (-), ...) and PM features
14 (eg. binpkgs, ...) can change that; so, a policy adaption or a clearly
15 described workflow may at some point be necessary to stay actual.
16
17 > Now... whether dynamic deps are technically the right thing to do is
18 > another question. It merits discussion, but we need to be really sure
19 > about the consequences of any change.
20
21 To deal with that one needs a clear workflow; given that it replaces an
22 automatic feature or hack without much rebuilds, by something that
23 needs you to decide whether or not to rev bump and cause more rebuilds.
26 With kind regards,
27
28 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
29 Gentoo Developer
30
31 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
32 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
33 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D