From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 01:03:36
1 On Monday 03 August 2015 00:34:51 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Recently some team members of the Qt project have adopted these ebuild
3 > policies: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qt/Policies
4 >
5 > I have an issue with the policy adopted under "Requires one of two Qt
6 > versions". In my opinion, in the case where a package offers a choice
7 > between qt4 or qt5, we should express this in explicit useflags and a
8 > REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( qt4 qt5 )". This offers the user the clearest choice.
9
10 Since qt4 and qt5 are both relatively 'heavy' dependencies and quite different
11 in many ways (including differences in default styles) many users will want to
12 stick with only one of those.
13
14 The gtk 'solution' forced some ugly things like masking gtk+:3, gconf:3, ...
15 and then selecting packages based on specific -r200 / -r300 revisions. So much
16 work to avoid regressing into gtk3!
17
18 (Which is especially frustrating because *dbus* has wrong dependencies just so
19 that gtk/gnome apps using dconf can save config ... )
20 >
21 > Other developers state that users are not interested in such implementation
22 > details, or that forced choice through REQUIRED_USE is too much of a
23 > hassle. This results in current ebuilds such as quassel to not make it
24 > clear that qt4 is an option.
25
26 I find setting USE="qt4 -qt5" a lot more obvious than having USE="qt" (why not
27 USE="X" ?) which then does different things based on another useflag,
28 sometimes. Maybe. It's horribly inconsistent and even might change result over
29 time, which is not very user-friendly.
30 >
31 > This goes against the principle of least surprise, as well as against QA
32 > recommendations. I would like to hear specifically from QA about how we
33 > should proceed, but comments from the wider developer community are also
34 > welcome.
35
36 I would prefer having qt4 and qt5 useflags independent, and no generic qt
37 useflag.