From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ryao@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:15:55
1 On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 01:35:19 -0400
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/25/2012 12:15 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > > An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I
6 > > would like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it
7 > > hits the tree. I don't do much work on base system packages, so I
8 > > would like some advice on how to make this as smooth as possible.
9 > >
10 > > My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in
11 > > @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will
12 > > remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little
13 > > confusing, but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy
14 > > of grub-0.97 installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact.
15 > >
16 > > Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it?
17 > >
18 > > Anything else I need to think about here?
19 > >
20 > > Note: The Gentoo Documentation Project has indicated that they do
21 > > not want to add anything to the handbook until we are somewhat
22 > > close to stabilizing grub:2. That's at least a couple months away.
23 >
24 > I think it would be best to move sys-boot/grub:2 to sys-boot/grub2.
25 > That should avoid confusion.
26
27 If our plan is to replace grub1 with grub2 at some point, that seems
28 incorrect. In other words, if grub2 is 'natural progress' from grub1.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny