From: Francisco Gimeno <kikov@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Several portage trees
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:02:03

I was wondering about having several portage trees to allow external
distributor having repositories of packages.
Recently, people have been talking in this list about the difficult proccess
of making a deploy of their packages.

As we know, Debian uses this. Everyone can add a new source of packages to get
installed to the system in a clear way. Just by putting deb lines into the

Now the portage have the possibility of using a different portage from
It could be really useful, if we could use something like it

In make.conf
PORT_SOURCES="rsync://source1 rsync://source2" ( it also could be useful if
ftp:// is allowed to ( mirror command ) because setup an ftp server is much
easier than a rsync one for several reasons like permissions ;) )

So, after making an emerge rsync, we have:
/usr/portage -> with the official gentoo portage mirror
/usr/local/portages/source1 -> with the mirror of the source1
/usr/local/portages/source2 -> with the mirror of the source2
and so...

So, when implementing, it could be used as the PORTDIR_OVERLAY ( with several
trees allowed ).

Is this too hard to implement?

I think it solves a lot of complains about flexibility and edging of Gentoo.

File name MIME type