From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs (for Python modules etc.)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:10:58
1 On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:28:44 +0200
2 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
3 > I would like to present the plan of support for multiple ABIs. It
4 > should be sufficient for Python modules and might be also appropriate
5 > for some other ABI types (e.g. for Ruby modules).
6
7 How do you plan to handle the intersection of ABIs? What if you have to
8 build or depend upon a Python module for both 32 and 64 bit ABIs, and
9 for both 2.5 and 2.6? What if you have a package that provides both
10 Ruby and Python code, where the two ABIs are independent rather than a
11 product?
12
13 > 4.1. Implicitly specified ABI dependencies. During calculation of
14 > dependencies of given package, Portage will verify if all
15 > dependencies, which use given ABI type, have been built with enabled
16 > support for these ABIs, which are enabled for given package.
17
18 How do you say "I need only a single ABI for this, even though it looks
19 like I need every ABI I'm built with"? For example, if your Python
20 module, being built for 2.5 and 2.6, runs (but does not use in a
21 library sense) a Python program that comes as part of a Python package
22 that is buildable with multiple ABIs?
23
24 > 4.2. Explicitly specified ABI dependencies. {,P,R}DEPEND variables
25 > will support specifying ABI dependencies in explicit way.
26 > {,P,R}DEPEND variables will also support ABI conditionals. I suggest
27 > using {ABI_type[comma-delimited values]} syntax, but it can be
28 > changed.
29
30 I think we're trying to avoid introducing new special characters if we
31 can get away with using existing ones. You can overload [] and existing
32 conditionals if you're careful.
33
34 Having said that, you can probably do everything you described slightly
35 less elegantly just using things that're already in EAPI 3.
38 Ciaran McCreesh