From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: fsmove to profiles/updates
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:53:00
1 Hello,
2
3 Right now, every time a bigger bunch of stuff (installed by various
4 packages) needs to be moved around the filesystem, we have a lot of
5 work to handle it somehow. And finally, users end up having to either
6 rebuild a lot of packages to get the files in the new locations, or
7 we do ugly things to move those files for them.
8
9 I believe we should consider implementing something simpler. Thus,
10 I propose introducing the following new command to profiles/updates:
11
12 fsmove <old-location> <new-location>
13
14 which -- at the moment of update -- will cause all PM-owned files
15 in the old-location to be moved to the new one (recursively), updating
16 the vdb as necessary.
17
18 What remains to be solved/decided:
19
20 1. How to treat non-owned files? (leave them there, refuse to proceed
21 with updates?)
22
23 2. How to handle relevant required updates? (packages which
24 actually *have* to be updated before moving files)
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny