From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:15:24
1 On 06/23/04 Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On Tuesday 22 June 2004 23:54, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
7 > > Aron Griffis said:
8 > > > The only thing I really dislike about the "marked keyword"
9 > > > approach is that it requires changes in the *user's* portage
11 > > > handle the marking. But only solutions III and IV avoid that so
12 > > > far.
13 > >
14 > > This is really a pretty annoying problem. As far as I can see, it
15 > > would require some hacking backwards compatibility fake profiles to
16 > > exist at"default-+x86-1.4" and so forth to avoid breaking everyone's
17 > > systems with old portages.
18 >
19 > Could you explain this, Donnie - please!? I'm not that deep into
20 > portage, that I know, what has to be changed in profiles and why it is
21 > a that big problem, that they could not be migrated smoothly.
22
23 The problem is much deeper, currently the syntax for KEYWORDS is quite
24 strict, any enhancements require portage changes on user systems.
25
26 > Just had another thought about the "re-arranging arch" option. How do
27 > you implement this in a differend backend, e.g. a database, Aron?
28
29 What do you mean here, a backend for the tree, the cache or what?
30
31 Marius
36 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
37 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.