From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] layman-global.txt, repositories.xml, layman, overlays.gentoo.org
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:35:16
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 >> What if that metadata format changes later or is extended by
3 >> additional required entries?
4 > How about using the power of xml and version the schemas? As long as the
5 > metadata-file specifies the respective dtd/xsd/relaxng you know exactly
6 > how to validate (and parse) it and may apply a xsl-trafo if necessary to
7 > convert it to a new format on the fly. As long as you keep using xml you
8 > can then change the complete format in a new schema version.
9
10 We are version the schemas already. My point is that we would need to
11 wait for the overlay maintainers once again to update their metadata.
12 Transforming does not save us as we are missing new data.
15 Sebastian