From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 22:01:42
1 Richard Yao posted on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:04:05 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > That being said, this is only useful for new installs where people want
4 > to take advantage of the Solaris way of doing management. It should have
5 > no benefit for existing installs.
6
7 I don't know enough about solaris to comment on that, but my (reverse)
8 merging /usr and bin/sbin to / certainly had benefits for my existing
9 install. The biggest one was no longer having the brain overhead of
10 having to track whether something's in /usr or direct in /, or in the bin
11 or sbin location in /usr or /. If it's an on-path executable that I
12 didn't manually create/install myself, it's now in /bin as the fully
13 dereferenced canonical path, tho /usr/bin /sbin, and /usr/sbin also work
14 via symlinks, no questions asked. Similarly, libs are found in /lib64 as
15 the fully dereferenced canonical path, tho /lib, /usr/lib64 and /usr/lib
16 all work as well, via symlinks. =:^)
17
18 There remains a slight down side in that the PM's idea of where the files
19 are located may differ in that it's one of the symlinked versions, and
20 various standard paths are slightly less efficient due to having to
21 dereference possibly multiple symlinks, but automatic and fast tracking
22 of such things while minimizing the wetware tracking load is what
23 computers excel at, so on balance I consider it a pretty large benefit.
24
25 So there's certainly benefit for existing installs. =:^)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman