From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: FHS or not (WAS: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 06:02:14
1 On 03/03/14 23:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> If the _only_ way to get the config for something is ever to run a
4 >> specific command specifically tailored for that purpose, then it's
5 >> evidence of a truly shocking and advanced sadism (not to mention a
6 >> complete and utter failure of software engineering as a discipline).
7 > I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that default
8 > configuration is often determined first and foremost by code.
9
10 Which is why should shouldn't be calling the files in eg. /lib/udev/rules.d
11 configs, but rather defaults which are unrolled from the applications
12 code.
13 Far better to have the defaults unrolled into whatever formatted file
14 than have it built-in hidden in the applications code.
15 Thus, doesn't matter if it's XML or JavaScript or whatever, all those
16 files belong to /lib just fine if needed in early boot, long as they are
17 defaults that are read-only, not the actual configs, which are by
18 definition not read-only.
19 I'm not saying you, but in general, including in this thread, there
20 seems to be some people actually agreeing but not knowing about
21 it when another is speaking of configs and another is referring
22 them as something else.
25 > If everything is right any hard-coded defaults get incorporated into
26 > config file templates. However, if a config item is commented out,
27 > there is no actual guarantee that what the system actually does is
28 > what is indicated in the commented instructions.
29 >
30 > That is part of why tools usually exist for dumping the REAL config.
31 > In the end that is the only way you can be really sure what the
32 > software is actually doing, between overrides, defaults, incorrect
33 > comments, and so on.
34 >
35 > As I've already commented, I find the most useful approach varies
36 > depending on how much these files need to be tweaked. In theory I
37 > could write my own set of udev rules, but in reality few do that. If
38 > the sourcing of subdirs/vhosts/etc is set up in a clever way for
39 > apache you can minimize the need to heavily edit a monolithic config
40 > file.
41 >
42 > So a lot of this comes down to the particular application and how
43 > clever we are with how it is configured, and how much it needs to be
44 > configured. It also comes down to how much upstream has already
45 > thought through these problems and presented an elegant solution...
49 Nod.