From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] additional files in portage tree
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 17:23:54
1 tekno@××.edu writes:
2
3 > My understanding of the purpose of the pkg-descr files is not to
4 > provide yet-another-"cryptic" file that gives information about the
5 > package. It would seem to me, then, that providing an xml file for
6 > the end user would defeat this purpose... perhaps have an xml file
7 > that is parsed to generate the pkg-descr file for the end user as well
8 > as an html file for the web/wiki or whatever, but I, for one, would
9 > like to be able to use my standard tools on the file and get results
10 > that mean something.
11 >
12 > find /usr/portage -name "pkg-descr" -exec grep -H "somestring" {} \;
13 > less pkgname/pkg-descr etc.
14
15 Yes, that was what I meant by XML not be to userfriendly for a guy
16 using less. But we could easily hack together a tool for viewing the
17 file (nicely formatted too/colorized if we want) that you use instead
18 of less. So that you instead perhaps use something like:
19
20 'edesc pkgname' or something
21
22 Your way of doing it also seems totally right for me, to write it in
23 XML and generate a textfile from it.
24
25 Regards,
26 Mikael Hallendal
29 Mikael Hallendal                micke@×××××××××××.se
30 CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
31 Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918