From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Documentation for sys-boot/grub:2
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:08:44
1 I believe the only thing keeping GRUB 2 masked is a lack of
2 "documentation". By this, I assume people are referring to the
3 handbook.
4
5 I have created a very minimal "quick start" guide that could be
6 adapted for the handbook. It relies on the grub2-mkconfig command
7 auto-detecting most things, which actually works pretty well.
8
9 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
10
11 scarabeus created a guide a while back that goes into slightly more detail:
12
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~scarabeus/grub-2-guide.xml
14
15 The wiki also has a longer GRUB2 guide. This goes into some of the
16 more exotic setups. However, some of it is poorly written and I find
17 editing it quite tedious.
18
19 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
20
21 So, my question to the community: what level of documentation do we
22 want to put in the handbook?
23
24 If the intent is just to get people up and running on Gentoo, I think
25 adapting the quick start guide from the wiki is enough. grub2.info has
26 a very detailed reference; I think we can refer people to that for
27 manual/advanced configuration.
28
29 Is there any other issue with grub:2 that would keep me from unmasking
30 (adding keywords) on x86 and amd64? I plan on waiting for the 2.00
31 release.