From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] client/server policy for ebuilds
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:45:36
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 18:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 09 June 2006 16:35, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > This is the "official" (hehe) request for comments on making a policy of
4 > > how to handle ebuilds than can be used for either client or server and
5 > > how to allow for building client-only.
6 >
7 > rather than moving to some sort of policy that satisfies no one completely and
8 > we'll have to back out of later, why dont we wait until portage can give us
9 > proper support for USE=client/server
10
11 Got an ETA?
12
13 The situation we have now is confusing, at best, to our users, and
14 something really should be done to resolve it. Waiting another 6 months
15 to a year, only to be able to use it with the particular portage
16 versions that support the proper EAPI for use-based dependencies is not
17 an optimal answer for our users, which is why I came up with the
18 proposal. Honestly, I don't care *what* is decided, so much as I want
19 to spark conversation and see *some* resolution come of it that is *at
20 least* consistent until use-based dependencies are a reality.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
25 x86 Architecture Team
26 Games - Developer