From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for enhancement to PMS/EAPI7+
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 03:07:21
1 I've just been party to a discussion over in the Proxy Maintainers
2 channel .. and the subject of correct ways to install documentation
3 popped up. It seems to me rather quirky, that there is no middle ground
4 in (for example) EAPI6 to have the default documentation installed per
5 https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-144003r4 , PLUS maybe
6 another folder or file(s). The existing framework ONLY allows *either*
7 /only/ the default documentation *or* an override through the DOCS=
8 variable.
9
10 My idea thus, was inspired by the simple bash DOCS+= ( ) statement, that
11 would allow you to append files/folders to the installdocs list,
12 assuming that DOCS was pre-populated with an existing set of files.
13 Obviously the status quo is set for EAPI6 and algorithms defined, but
14 wondered if it could be considered for a future update/improvement cycle?!
15
16 There are methods (Again, quite clunky) to invoke the default method,
17 amend the variable, repeat installdocs .. and/or do additional dodoc's
18 manually, but I would have thought it was possible to incorporate into
19 the core functions, and keep the ebuild tidy and clean (and short!).
20
21 Already been shot down in flames in the IRC channel .. but going for a
22 second round, to see if there's anyone else similarly insane, who might
23 agree with me?!
24
25 MJE