From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [RFC] Commit messages - WAS Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:47:26
1 On 18/07/18 13:20, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 07/18/2018 02:10 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 >> I often find myself in the
4 >> need to use/invent some abbreviation in order to fit the limit.
5 >> Considering this is an error, this sends the message that short is
6 >> preferred over clear.
7 > Or that the summary should be concise and a longer proper description
8 > can be written in the body of the commit message instead. Potentially
9 > mixed in with multiple commits for different logical changes etc etc.
10 >
11 Perhaps the time has come to re-assess the commit message "standard".
12 I'm thinking something along the lines of the following:
13 - Line one is limited to <cat>/<pkg> and some Key Word that defines the
14 type of change made, similar to bugzilla perhaps eg. "REVBUMP, VERBUMP,
15 EAPIBUMP, BUGFIX, PATCH, FEATUREREQ, OTHER". This would get around the
16 issue of long package-names and/or overlays and other lengthy prefixes.
17 - Line two remains a blank line at present
18 - Line three+ actually describe what the change is, in plain English.
19 - Footer~3: Bug/Pull reference
20 - Footer~2: Signed/Authored/etc standard footer text(s)
21 - Footer: Package manager/repoman as appropriate
22 where: 3+ (line three onwards), ~n: approx. line prior to end (EOF-n)
23
24 This should satisfy line length limitations, whilst still preserving
25 some Basic information about commit type, which can then be sub-filtered
26 if necessary. I can't presently see anything that would preclude
27 tool-friendly parsing of such messages... or repoman applying
28 appropriate checks...
29
30 NB. I may have swapped F~3 and F~2 lines around .. order can be
31 preserved as present.