From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:30:54
1 On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 08:49:16 +0100
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > With eapis 1 and 2 we introduced nice features but also a couple of
4 > new problems. One of them are the use dependencies when the package
5 > you depend on doesn't have the use flag anymore (see [1] for an
6 > example).
7
8 Here's another one to consider:
9
10 If S= is wrong (which it often is, for packages with icky tarballs),
11 src_configure and src_compile won't error out. These days this isn't a
12 huge deal, because your custom src_install will probably fail. But if
13 we're introducing a default src_install, it will instead see no
14 Makefile and just do nothing, resulting in an empty package being
15 installed.
16
17 Currently, at the start of src_configure, the package manager does a cd
18 to ${S} if ${S} exists, and to ${WORKDIR} otherwise. I'd like to
19 propose that ${S} not existing should instead be an error if either of
20 the following conditions are met:
21
22 * ${A} is non-empty
23 * Any of src_unpack, src_configure, src_compile or src_install is a
24 defined phase.
25
26 Ebuilds where this would trigger a false positive would have to specify
27 S=${WORKDIR}.
30 Ciaran McCreesh