From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 00:21:22
1 On 05/02/04 Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > dispatch-conf already does this doesn't it? and.. that idea is broken
4 > anyway.. consider
5 >
6 > user installs app X, makes extensive changes to config files
7 >
8 > user upgrades app X, app X still uses config files (ie: syntax hasn't
9 > changed)
10 >
11 > do the last step many many times (routine upgrades), in which case
12 > etc-update doesn't ask you to change the files since they didn't
13 > change since last time
14 >
15 > user upgrades app X again, which has a totally new config syntax and
16 > etc-config unknowingly gets rid of the ._cfg files seeing that nothing
17 > has changed from last time..
18
19 Sorry, I can't follow you. If the config file has a completely new
20 syntax then surely the content has changed as well, so we have a diff,
21 so why should etc-update think that nothing has changed?
22
23 > dispatch-conf is really the direction we should go though, since it
24 > would allow you to merge between arbitrary versions, ie (this started
25 > acting funny last week after i upgraded, I better diff the current
26 > config and the one from that upgrade to see if there are any changes i
27 > need to merge) perhaps they should be combined to make the >
28 > dispatch-conf behaviour an option of etc-update.
29
30 The only thing I'm proposing is a change in the format for the ._cfg
31 files from full vanilla config to a diff between old and new version,
32 nothing about the behavior of dispatch-conf or etc-update. This is to
33 save people from constantly overwriting config files just because they
34 modified them and differ from vanilla state therefore.
35 As I said it has several compatibility problems, so maybe we also get
36 around to our etc-update rewrite finally while we're at it. Don't expect
37 it anytime soon though, it's just a proposal and I don't have any
38 intention to work on it before making a formal proposal (GLEP and so
39 on).
40
41 Marius
46 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
47 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.