From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] SMP kernel halts system - hyperthreading??
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:55:59
1 Hm. I guess this is the kernel issue then, huh.
2
3 Tido- I have a very similar machine. Not Dell, though. It's got a Dual
4 Tyan mobo in it, 2 2.2-GHz Intel Xeons (with hyperthreading), 2 GB of
5 RDRAM, and a couple IDE hard drives.
6
7 Yea - I think there are possibly some sort of scheduling conflicts
8 happening on my machine. I use 2.4.19-gentoo-r7, and it was stable until
9 I started running codes from a C++ numerical package. I asked the guys
10 who wrote it, and they are saying that they run these codes all the time
11 on SMP machines with stock RedHat 7.x installations and Debian boxes with
12 no incidental hard-lock failures like I have seen. I have updated glibc
13 and libc to the latest gentoo ebuilds, where I thought the problem was
14 initially.
15
16 Now since a lot of people are blaming it on the 2.4.19-gentoo-r7 kernel, I
17 might as well join the list, if this software is proved stable on other
18 distros using stock SMP kernel from kernel.org.
19
20 I guess maybe I should just go with the vanilla's now, since they have
21 been reported not to have these kinds of issues.
22
23 Denis
24