From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev coldplugging and /etc/init.d/modules
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:25:36
1 On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 04:07:51PM +0100, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
2 > * Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> [2006-12-01 18:08]:
3 > > [...]
4 > > If you rely on the specific loading order of modules, you were the crazy
5 > > one in the first place :)
6 > >
7 > > As others have said, look at using udev to name your network devices in
8 > > a persistant manner, it's the best solution.
9 > >
10 > > Or you can just blacklist the modules, and then load them yourself in
11 > > your modules startup location.
12 > >
13 > > The problem with doing this is the modules.d stuff is still broken for
14 > > blacklisting, it will only work on the first reboot of the system,
15 > > there's an open bug for this issue :(
16 >
17 > Greg,
18 >
19 > what's the best way to just completely disable udev coldplug-like
20 > module loading?
21
22 as per /etc/conf.d/rc:
23
24 # Dynamic /dev managers can trigger coldplug events which cause services to
25 # start before we are ready for them. If this happens, we can defer these
26 # services to start in the boot runlevel. Set RC_COLDPLUG="no" if you don't
27 # want this.
28 # NOTE: This also affects module coldplugging in udev-096 and higher
29 # If you want module coldplugging but not coldplugging of services then you
30 # can set RC_COLDPLUG="yes" and RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!*"
31
32 so just set RC_COLDPLUG="no" and you will disable the module loading by
33 udev at boot time.
34
35 thanks,
36