From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] memtest86 fails? (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:16:14
1 On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:22:15PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
2 > As I said earlier in this thread, I found zero errors in an 8 hour
3 > exhaustive memory test (using the Dell-provided Utility Partition tests)
4 > running 15-16 loops, 4 different tests, and found zero errors from a
5 > complete hardware test (also from the Utility Partition).
6 >
7 > But just on a lark, I decided to try memtest86 3.0 and 3.1a as well, and
8 > both are turning up errors all over the place.
9
10 We had exactly the same error; PowerEdge 1600 SC. I thought it was because of
11 Dell's memory chips, but when I sticked others in (dunno what vendor though)
12 I received the same issues (with memtest86) again.
13
14 A different motherbord resolved the issue. I never had the MCE errors
15 though (but then again, it didn't - and still doesn't - run Gentoo).
16
17 Just my 2 ยข,
18
19 Sven Vermeulen
22 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
23 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
24 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
25 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>