From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:26:47
1 Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > Sebastian,
3 > I definitely admire your point and know that through your tracking and Google
4 > SoC project you have good visibility on this I do however have to disagree.
5 > As much as I enjoy the open source community and admire the products they put
6 > out I do believe Gentoo has the right approach to packaging.
7 > My standpoint is that Gentoo always ensures stability in the fact that we
8 > require packages to be tested prior to release in the main portage tree and
9 > secondly the Gentoo developers always ensure security as best as they can.
10 > These I believe are what keep the portage tree somewhat behind the latest and
11 > greatest and as always there are overlays and options that allow users to pull
12 > these packages down if they want.
13 > I believe the great thing about Gentoo is the choice of whether to be cutting
14 > edge or not. If I have missed anything please let me know.
15
16 I don't think we should trade away quality. You said you disagree with
17 me but with that said I don't see at which point.
21 Sebastian