From: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Patches for MPPE/MPPC
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:24:51
1 Hi all. I am working on some ppp bugs and I noticed there is an excellent
2 kernel patch for MPPE/MPPC available for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions:
3
4 http://www.polbox.com/h/hs001/
5
6 There have been existing patches similar to this one available for a long
7 time. However, the author of this patch effectively differentiates his
8 patches here:
9
10 "Some day, digging in the Net, I found MPPE implementation at
11 http://mirror.binarix.com/ppp-mppe/. I thought that it would be good to
12 complete that code with MPPC and make it freely available. So I wrote MPPC
13 part and added support for 56 bit keys in MPPE."
14
15 There may be some copyright issues with this patch. Here is another
16 relavent quote from the above website:
17
18 "Although the module's source code is completely free, MPPC itself is
19 patented algorithm. Patent for *Microsoft* PPC is holded by the Hifn Inc.
20 This is obvious ;-). Furthermore, MPPE uses RC4 encryption algorithm
21 which itself isn't patented, but RC4 is trademark of RSA Data Security
22 Inc. To avoid legal problems, US citizens shouldn't use this module."
23
24 I have two questions for everyone:
25 1. Can I include the ppp patch in the ppp ebuild? How do I do it legally?
26 2. Can we include the kernel patch in the gentoo-sources base patch set?
27 How do we do it legally?
28
29 Thanks,
30 Cory