From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Simple question : installing packages
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:04:20
1 On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:30:05PM +0100, Jo Bieg wrote:
2
3 > I'm just following these discussions since I'm really a newbie to linux.
4 > However, I've got some questions you may be able to answer:
5
6 Welcome to the list :)
7
8 > 1. Checking what packages you need
9 >
10 > Is there a way to determine the dependency status of the whole system (check
11 > what packages are missing). I know there's an ebuild command to check the
12 > dependency of a single package. So do I have to write a shell script which
13 > goes through the db and checks every single package in there?
14
15 Try:
16
17 # portage-maintain
18
19 It'll inform you of any critical packages that aren't installed, as well as
20 when you have a package installed and there's a newer (recommended) version
21 available.
22
23 > 2. (Actually not Gentoo related) Organizing data.
24 >
25 > Comparing Linux to Windows I realized the differences in managing data. Eg.
26 > linux (and unix?) uses a "spread out" system collecting data of the same
27 > type (like libraries, binaries, documentation) whereas Windows puts data
28 > together (each program has its own directory). Is there a proper technical
29 > term which describes these two models?
30
31 I guess the generic term is "filesystem organization". Linux is moving towards
32 using a standard called FHS; however, most of the standards come from successful
33 traditions of past UNIX operating systems.
34
35 > I'd gladly help you out with the website. Though I'm not really working with
36 > linux. Yet, I'm just a Windows, Outlook and Photoshop lamer ;)
37
38 Well, if you're a newbie, then you should be spending your time learning your
39 way around Linux :)) When you're comfortable with Linux, then we'll have some
40 ways you can help.
41
42 Best Regards,
45 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>