From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-libs/libevent: ChangeLog libevent-1.3e.ebuild
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 02:40:36
1 On Wednesday 14 November 2007 01:33:54 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Steve Long wrote:
3 > >> Is [[:alpha:]] locale-safe?
4 > >
5 > > Yes, all POSIX character classes listed here are:
6 > > http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap07.html
7 >
8 > Thanks for a nice link. If I read section 7.3.1 correctly, [[:alpha:]]
9 > always contains those letters, but might contain more, depending on the
10 > locale. So it's probably very minor point, but as long as the script
11 > runs with user-provided locale, one should be explicit here. Or am I
12 > missing something here?
13
14 If you think [a-zA-Z] is being explicit then you are clearly missing
15 something. E.g. if you google for the estonian alphabet you'll see a lot of
16 ansi letters are after z in that alphabet. So on estonian locales those
17 letters won't be included in [a-z] but they will be included in [:alpha:].
20 Bo Andresen