From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-libs/freetype: freetype-2.4.11-r1.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:09:00
1 Alexis Ballier schrieb:
2 > On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:10:30 +0100
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The other thing is:
6 >> We still have the conflict with eclass-solution vs PM-solution
7 >> (multilib-portage) and I propose not to convert ANYTHING else until
8 >> that conflict is solved, even if it means a council vote (that's what
9 >> I actually think makes sense here).
10 >> I understand both sides and somehow find it appealing to have a
11 >> quicker solution, but since this could damage years of work on a
12 >> portage fork I think we should slow down here.
13 >
14 > except there _has_ been a discussion:
15 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/80330
16 >
17 > where, at least for me, it appeared that the eclass solution was the
18 > right way and portage-multilib had its defects that could not be solved
19 > without such an eclass solution.
20 > Long story short: portage-multilib does not handle deps needing
21 > multilib and deps not needing them. Only packages maintainers know
22 > that, you cannot guess it at the PM level. Doing unpack twice, while
23 > bearable, is also suboptimal. portage-multilib already disables its
24 > multilib support for multilib-enabled packages, thus there is not even
25 > a conflict there.
26
27 So you discussed with mgorny (who does not like multilib-portage) and
28 not me and then assume that all details have been written in there? :-)
31 > The lack of answer on my reply
32 > ( http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/82740 ) made me
33 > think that the main portage-multilib developer was agreeing with that.
34
35 Feel free to write my name here ;-)
36
37 And it seems more likely i just missed that mail, i did not
38 intentionally ignore it.
39
40 Anyway, in short: the current implementation does add dependencies so
41 that all dependencies need the same ABIs enabled as the package you
42 want. If we move the features into a future EAPI, we can of course drop
43 this and leave the dependency part to the ebuild maintainer.
46 > On the other hand, Michal has been doing the work and got things done
47 > when portage-multilib has never reached mainline after several years
48 > of development. So, while breaking the tree like the freetype case is
49 > really bad, please do not use this for killing his efforts, esp. when
50 > it is now masked.
51
52 If you did not know it: anyone can add an eclass, while adding new
53 features via package manager requires a new EAPI.
54 I have written about it on this list for many months, if not years. And
55 every time i solved a request, a new one was raised. And you want to
56 blaim me for multilib-portage not reaching the main tree?
59 Anyway, if there is a sane and easy to use eclass created, which does
60 just multilib and does it properly for all multilib arches also
61 supporting per ABI headers and binaries, i am not opposed against it.
62
63 I just see issues the way a work-in-progress is pushed into the main
64 tree without prior discussion and additional hacks for issues (freetype
65 headers) forcing other devs to do more work instead of asking for
66 another solution not needing any additional work for depending packages.
70 Thomas Sachau
71 Gentoo Linux Developer